I’m still hanging on here in my little corner of the world. Things are quiet and busy and for the most part good. Here’s a quick sampling of the latest and greatest goings on these days:
1. I am running for the local Board of Education (again). I’m so much more jaded and realistic about it this time. I know it’s all just a shell game of name recognition and party affiliation. Our town is a red town so running as a D is tough, but doable if you have enough name recognition. I have done a lot in town so we’ll see what happens.
(Here is where I could lapse into a huge diatribe about how this whole government shutdown is keeping me up at nights and how party and politics is stupid and why can’t people do the right thing, but I digress).
2. My daughter is busy, busy, busy and it’s getting hard to keep up with her. It’s a good thing, a far cry from her awful days last fall when she struggled with friends and spent a great many days alone in her room after school. I’m loving that she’s thriving in marching band, in soccer and landed a role in the middle school fall drama.
3. My little guy is holding his own, but isn’t doing much for activities. At this point we’re chalking it up to needing the down time after holding himself together all day at school. We’ve had a few alarming meltdowns recently (one, two weekends ago, was a reminder of the bad old days, with an all out screaming fit that lasted over half an hour). I’m not going to lie, I’m a little worried for him, but staying the course.
4. Hubby is looking to potentially switch jobs. This is big news but likely won’t mean too much of a change for us as a family. He’s been putting feelers out with other companies and getting some results….we will see what the next few months bring. After being with the same company for two moves and 13 years, it seems like a big jump. Especially since this job was the one that brought us here to CT where we knew exactly one person when we moved here. The new positions he is looking at mean no move but lots of travel for him. It’s not a huge change for us, and will probably be a great thing for him. We’ll see what happens.
5. Worried about my son and daughter in law with all of this shut down business. My son’s job is with a private company but a lot of their work comes via the EPA so this is all getting a bit much. They have a baby on the way and I was already worried about how they will support themselves once he/she is born. They don’t have the luxury of throwing away their savings right now on stupid party politics. For the love of God, I hope these idiots in the House get their shit together today.
6. Entered a weight loss challenge from now until Thanksgiving. I’ve been trying to lose the same 15 pounds for…gulp….two years. Enough is enough. Hoping this will be the wakeup call/jump start I need to finally make better choices and feel better about my body.
7. Speaking of losing weight, it would be perfect timing because I’m finally going to see my favoriate rock start again after four years. A few girlfriends and I are going to see my pal Rick Springfield in NYC in November. It’s a small, initiate, acoustic show at a winery. I hope everyone enjoys it and I’m able to just lose myself in the moment without all the crap that used to be part of going to RS shows. We’ll see.
That’s about it for now. Deep thoughts are for later….it’s 6:15 am right now and time for me to start the day.